As we gather in our respective community schools and offices for another school year, I find myself reflecting on many of our accomplishments in recent years. Our students, staff, and communities have been busy, continually striving to improve education in our division.
Together, we have:
- created a new brand reflecting our rich heritage, culture and diversity
- worked to increase attendance throughout the division for both staff and students
- continued to build relationships with our communities
- launched a brand-new website
- moved forward with strong literacy and numeracy programs
- increased Indigenous Way of Life programming
- implemented new initiatives focussing on the wellness of students and staff.
The list is by no means exhaustive, but does demonstrate that we have grown and evolved in many important ways in the last while.
Every school year is a new chapter providing opportunity for us to foster an environment in which everyone is valued. In the face of all our achievements, we must constantly remember there will always be work to do as we continue to partner with our communities to provide excellence and experience in education.
Guided by our values, we recognize our collective responsibility to engage in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action. Frontier School Division is committed to walking alongside our communities in this work and intend on becoming leaders in our province in Indigenous Way of Life and language education. It is our job to continually redefine and advance an educational model that works for our students and families so everyone can come to school and feel recognized, safe, included and engaged in their learning.
I'm proud to start another school year among all of the students, staff and caregivers that make up our Frontier Family. I look forward to seeing all of our communities throughout Frontier School Division grow and flourish together.
Welcome back everyone. I wish you all the best for the 2019-20 school year!