Local School Committees form the foundation of the governance structure of Frontier School Division. Local school committee members are elected by the community, are responsible for advising the principal and Area Superintendent with respect to school matters and encouraging the involvement of residents. A local school committee member's first and greatest concern is the best interest of each and every child in their local school.
The principal and school committee form the leadership team for their school. The principal is the educational leader responsible for management, staff organization, student instruction and discipline. The school committee provides guidance, direction and support to the school.
Committee members review and make recommendations on:
- The hiring of principals, teachers and other staff
- Personnel performance evaluations
- Proposed annual budget and monthly expenditures
- Proposed capital construction projects
- Changes in policies, procedures, program and activities
- Transportation of students
- Short and long term priorities for each school in their ward
If you’re interested in getting involved with a school committee, please contact the Governance Support Officer in your Area Office.